Monday, December 10, 2007

Oiled Paper Experiment

I'm doing a little experiment. NOTE: this technique is not recommended for scrapbooking. The other day I was helping my kids do a Nativity stained glass window using oil. And then I got an idea. (We'll see how bright it is a few days from now.) I'm oiling paper to give it a translucent look, which kind of mimics vellum. But my method is much cheaper thus far.

So the first picture is my stamped images on white cardstock. (Use thinner paper for more translucence. Prolly 24 lbs. paper would be nice.)

Stamp your images as you'd like them to appear. You can use black ink, watercoloring or whatever.

The second picture shows that I flipped the images to the back side of the paper, because we're going to oil it from the back. It reduces any chance of ruining the image. Place image face down on a Viva paper towel. Now pour some vegetable oil over the paper and rub it in with a wadded paper towel or cotton ball.

In the last picture you can see that the wrong side of the images are a muted version of the original.

Place your oiled paper in between two layers of paper and then paper towels and let sit under a heavy book for a day or two. The oil *should* all get absorbed so that you can use it for card making. I'll post my results in a few days so we can see how my little experiment worked.

I'm thinking that you could oil a sheet of paper and then stamp on it with craft ink, too.

*My kids' stained glass window pictures set on paper towels for two days and are now hanging on a window with no oil marks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

9 comments:

Stampin' Meg said...

You are so brave! I would never think to do that, ALanan. Let us know how it looks in a couple days... I am very curious!

A.Lee said...

Note: Does not work with red ink. It bleeds. That may mean that pink bleeds, too.

Stacy said...

Very interesting! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Hey everyone I want to start an RAK list for us so if you are interested see my blog.

Lorraine said...

cute idea. thanks for sharing the tech

Michelle said...

This is cool. I don't know that I ever would have oiled inked paper. I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Kerry Johnson said...

Wow - cool experiment! Can't wait to see your results. Would baby oil be any different than vegetable oil?

A.Lee said...

I just tried it with baby oil. I like it better, mostly because it smells good. Otherwise, it takes about 4 days for the vegetable oil smell to go away.

Laurie Unger said...

Alana, I got your post on my blog and I'm definately interested in posting my sketches at the cafe! Thanks for inviting me to join in on the fun!!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!