Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Square Card

This is one of my first square cards that I've ever made. I got the idea from my SBS sister Lesa's recent post. Anyways, I got a fiskars circle cutter (see 2nd photo) for Christmas and wanted to see just what it could do.

I cut out a 4" circle and then remembered Sarah's tutorial on using the slit punch to create a scalloped circle (she uses the coluzzle). I cut out a 2" circle in the middle and began scalloping. It didn't match up perfectly each time (you'll see that card on my next post), but I was thrilled to have my first scalloped circle! I need to make some thank you cards for Christmas, so I thought a flower with rich colors would work well.

The trick seems to be having a 1" border left intact on the large circle. The card measures 4-1/4" square. The green circle is 3" in diameter, and the red one is 2-3/4" in diameter. I just used the gold circle that I cut out of the larger circle in the first step, and the white circle is 1-3/4". I used DP from the Dollar Store and $1 Michael's clear stamps (series 7, I believe). The "Thank You" image didn't stamp too crisply, so I re-stamped (I guess that's the beauty of clear) and then went over the letters with a brown glitter pen. Overall, I'm tickled with my circle cutter and the cute cards it made.

Recipe
Stamps: $1 Michael's clear
CS: More Mustard, Chocolate Chip, White, DP from Dollar Store
Ink: Ruby Red, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Fiskars circle cutter, a brown glitter pen, slit punch, sponge

5 comments:

UrgentCookie said...

Thanks for the tutorial. You did a great job. :0)

Rosella said...

Alana, thank you so much for this tutorial. It is great! I am so impressed with all you are doing not feeling too great and all.
Happy 2008!

Stampin' Meg said...

Neat technique with the punch to make the scallops

Niki Estes said...

Great way to make your own scalloped circles. Thanks for the tutorial!

Tania said...

Dit is zo slim! This is sooo smart! Thanks for visiting my blog. If you have lived in Wilrijk, then you know my town : Antwerpen! City of diamonds. Your Dutch is not that bad, afther 9 years! I'm gonna put your blog to my fav!